Category Archives: Uncategorized
ROCHESTER, N.Y., July 7, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — Verizon Wireless announced it has awarded nine grants totaling $35,000 to domestic violence survivors across New York State to help them start or expand a small or home-based business. The grants are part of $45,000 committed to the Verizon Domestic Violence Entrepreneurship Grant Program announced last year in conjunction with the New York State Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence. The grants are available to individual domestic violence survivors living in New York State
Grants awarded so far include:
- Two $2,500 grants awarded to a downstate consultant assisting other small businesses with business continuity planning
- $2,500 to purchase materials and equipment, and to establish a website for a designer of hand-crafted jewelry and ornaments in Rockland County
- $2,500 awarded to provide on-camera coaching and training to help individuals in the Capital Region prepare for important life events
- $5,000 to provide workshops and counseling to student-parents in the New York City area to help them apply to college
- $5,000 to secure a location, equipment and supplies to open a hair and nail salon in Brooklyn
- $5,000 to help establish a one-stop center for domestic violence support in Dutchess County
- $5,000 for working capital to help a Rochester-area entrepreneur acquire rental property for domestic violence survivors and their children
- $5,000 to help launch a home decorating and design business in Rochester
The Verizon Domestic Violence Entrepreneurship Grant Program is based on the premise that many domestic violence survivors have developed strong coping and problem-solving skills, as well as a strong incentive to be self-sufficient and violence-free, that can be applied to successfully getting a small or home-based business off the ground. Grants range from $1,000 to $5,000 and the funding can be used to make a down payment on a workspace, purchase a computer or other office equipment, purchase initial product inventory or supplies, etc.
“The Verizon Entrepreneurship Grant has inspired and empowered me to fulfill my dream of owning my own hair and nail salon,” said Ebony Fletcher, who received a $5,000 grant to open Ebbies Hair & Nail Salon in Brooklyn.
“With this commitment, Verizon understands that for domestic violence survivors, getting to safety must include economic self-sufficiency,” said Amy Barasch, Executive Director of the New York State Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence. “This wise investment of resources has a variety of benefits: Starting a small business is an option that may resonate with many survivors’ need for independence and flexibility, and at the same time, these new ventures will help grow the state’s economy.”
Read more at prnewswire.com
F.A.V.A. Inc. is pledging to end the silence with F.A.V.O.R. Christian Organization at PledgeBank.com. Domestic Violence and Breast Cancer are two of the leading causes of death in the United States, today. Make your pledge to end the silence about the two, very relevant, issues in our community. F.A.V.A. is always ready to unite with our friends and neighbors to enlighten the young and the old.
Make your pledge at: http://www.pledgebank.com/Endthesilence
Be sure to check out the Cruise For A Cause link to get your spot for the 2012 event.